The ICF Board of Directors met at the Delta Toronto East Hotel with
Internet and Teleconference for those distant from the hotel and:
- approved the minutes of the previous Board and ExCom meetings
- reviewed/received the Treasurer's report
- declined one application for an IEEE McNaughton Learning Resource Center Grant
- awarded four IEEE McNaughton Learning Resource Center Grants to:
Université de Sherbrooke
Red River College
University of British Columbia,
University of Saskatchewan
- awarded a special grant to UNB for a "Robotics Competetion"
- approved a recurring annual special grant of $1000 beginning in 2009
the IEEE Canada W.S. Read Outstanding Service Award
- approved in principle, the concept of listing donors in an honour roll
of donors with
an option to remain anonymous at the desire of the donor, and the
asking donors to consider making a bequest to the IEEE Canadian Foundation.
- replaced Janet Bradley by Denard Lynch as Student Branch Liaison Comm. Chair
- added Janet Bradley to the Donations Committee
- set April 2 and November 26 as the ICF Board meeting dates for 2009.
The ICF Executive Committee met at the Delta Airport West Hotel
in conjunction with the IEEE Canada Executive Committee and the IEEE Canada
Student Branch Workshop on September 12, 2008 and:
- declined two applications for special grants
- recieved information that Christian Pepin had agreed to brcome a
member of the ICF
and serve as the "French Pages Webmaster"
- received information that IEEE Canada Executive Committee had
reviewed the ICF
bylaw changes (for information)
- received and discussed updates on creating the future donor database
Canadian IEEE Life Members Fund
The IEEE Foundation Executive Committee met at Pearson Airport on July 19, 2008
- approved a $2,000 special grant for Sections Congress'08 to be held in
in concert with the IEEE Foundation's $18,000 SC08 grant.
- received and discussed updates on creating a donor database,
Canadian IEEE Life Members Fund on our online donation website,
bylaw revisions prior to ICF Board consideration, creating an
Two IEEE Canadian Foundation Scholarship certificates are presented by IEEE
Montreal Section chair Anader Benyamin-Seeyar at the section's general
assembly held on May 14.
Shown on the left is Eric Breault from the Universite
de Sherbrooke, and on the right is Sean Cloghesy from Concordia University.
ICF Scholarship certificates are received by Section
chairs who will present them to the student winners at an upcoming Section
meeting. The cheques are mailed directly to the universities where they are
deposited into each winning student's account. Flanking the Section Chairs
are Luc Matteau, ICF Treasurer, and Ferial El-Hawary, IEEE Canada President.
From the left the chairs are; Lori Hogan (N&L Section and 2006 WIE Prize
recipient), Christian Pepin (Quebec Section and ICF French Webmaster), Anader
Benyamin-Seeyar (Montreal Section), Wahab Almuhtadi (Ottawa Section), Keith
Brown (Northern Canada Section), and Philip Choi (Southern Alberta Section).
The Board of Directors meeting is held on April 3, after
the Annual Membership meeting and;
- re-elects as members Bob Alden, Ray Findlay, Miro Forest, Luc Matteau
and Wally Read for 5-yr terms
- elects a new member Ron Palmer (South Saskatchewan)
for a 5-yr term
- noted that all Sections now have representation on the
- elects Hugh Swain as an emeritus member while noting that Hugh has served
this board and its predecessor for 27 continuous years
- reappoints the current officers for a further one-year term
- appoints members to the operating committees
- aproves the establishment of an investment advisory committee
- aproves the establishment of a Canadian Life Member Fund
- aproves the establishment of an executive committee
- awards eight 2008 IEEE Canadian Foundation Scholarships at $3,500 each,
Robert Cove, Memorial University
Desbiens Guy, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
Mohammad Haj-Shafiei, University of Toronto
Sean Cloghesy, Concordia University
Taban Rizvi, University of Alberta
Nathan Adolph, University of Calgary
Aminul Islam, Carleton University
Éric Breault, Université de Sherbrooke
- awards four IEEE Canadian Foundation Special Grants
UOIT - “Engineering Week by IEEE” initiative
University of Alberta - Space Elevator Racing Team
IEEE Canada - Student Training Workshop
CCECE'08 - Best Student Paper Awards
- awards the 2008 IEEE Canada Power Quality Scholarship, $1500, to
Audrey Catherine Kertesz of the University of Calgary
- awards the 2008 IEEE Canada Women in Engineering Prize, $1,000, to Visda
Vokhshoori (Toronto Section)
The Annual Membership meeting is held on April 3 and;
- receives the President's annual report describing progress over
the past year and plans for the future
- receives the report of the Grants committee summarizing that in 2007,
the IEEE Canadian Foundation
- awarded 7 Scholarships, 8 Learning Centre Upgrade Grants,
6 Special Grants, 1 Women in Engineering Prize,
1 Power Quality Scholarship, and 2 IEEE Canadian Foundation Québec Science
Fair Prizes - totaling $52,950,370.
- re-elects current directors Bob Alden, Ray Findlay, Sam Iskandar, and
David Whyte, whose 3-yr terms are expiring
- elects one new director, David Gregson for a 3-yr term.
- approved the 2008 operating budget and appointed the auditors for 2008
Janet Bradley, IEEE Canadian Foundation Director, is being awarded the
IEEE Canada Central Canada Merit Award.
David Gregson, IEEE Canadian Foundation Member, is being awarded the
IEEE Canada Western Canada Merit Award.
The value of the IEEE Canada Women in Engineering Prize has been
increased from $750 to $1000 for 2008.